KISUMU, Kenya, Oct 29 – A 15-year-old girl who gave birth on Monday night was among two candidates who sat for the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) examination at Ahero sub-county hospital in Kisumu County, the facility manager confirmed on Tuesday.
According to Dr Bernard Owino, the girl and a boy admitted at the hospital for the last one week after suffering burns on his hands were facilitated to write their exams as the three-day assessment of Class Eight pupils kicked off nationwide.
“The girl delivered last night but she is stable enough to sit exams. The boy has burns about 6 percent burns and has been with us for the past five days,” he said.
He reported that the boy had difficulties writing the exams due to the extent of the burns on his both fingers and had to be assisted.
“We are hopeful that the boy will finish the examinations well,” he said.
Dr Owino said education officials monitored the two candidates while assuring that the hospital ensured a conducive environment for the examinees.
The parents of the male candidate were arrested last week after it emerged they inflicted injuries on the boy who was accused of stealing a phone.
They have already been arraigned in court where they denied the charges of causing bodily harm to the boy.
Meanwhile, Kisumu County Director of Education Isaac Atebe confirmed that a few schools in Muhoroni sub-county started the exams slightly late due to floods that hampered transportation of examination materials.
Exam papers were later dispatched allowing candidates in the affected schools to proceed with the assessment.